Jacksonville, Florida

I just had an internet connection installed in my new home. I ordered my service online at a quoted price of $36.99 for monthly charges and $34.99 for the installation fee.

I received my first bill after the service had been installed, and the one-time charge had been bumped to $49.99 ($15.00 more than quoted). So I called Comcast to get my bill lowered to my original quote, but instead they credited my account for any future one-time charges I might incur. This means that if I have additional services installed, they'll discount me that $15.00 to "make it right", but until then, I still have to pay the extra $15.00 unless I want to be reported to the credit agencies.

The problem is that there are no one-time charges in my future since I only use Comcast for internet. So essentially, I don't need their "credit" for anything, and they will ultimately pocket that $15.00 that I never agreed to pay.

I did my entire order online, so their under-quote did not occur because of the mistake of some customer service rep. It occurred because their system is intentionally set-up to corner people into paying a little bit more money than they originally agreed to, which, when multiplied by the number of customers they do this to, nets them millions of extra dollars through fraud. This is no more acceptable than if they walked into my house and stole $15.00 off my counter.

Ideally, the government would start doing its job and shut down corporations that arrogantly execute these predatory business practices. Since that's not going to happen, and since they have a monopoly in my area, and since every other option I have to resolve this issue is going to cost me much more than $15, my rather weak solution is to post on here among the thousands of others who dislike them and recommend that if you have a choice, don't do business with Comcast.

I might not get my $15 back, but if I can sway just one person not to do business with these slick "business pros", it'll cost them much more than the $15 they owe me and I'll at least get some satisfaction from that.

Product or Service Mentioned: Comcast Internet Service.

Comments

Plain and simple, Customers need to form a class action against Comcast(now Xfinity)for,

A- Price gouging.

B- Unfair business practices.

C- Lying to customers (Bait & Switch tactics).

D- Fraudulent Billing Practices.

E- Changing customers packages and rates without notifying customers in advance.

*** Forcing customers to rent equipment that they don't really need or want just to raise the customers monthly bill for service.

G- Forcing customers to upgrade to a higher prices service and threatening to cut service or take away features if they refuse to upgrade.

H- False advertising.

There you have it folks, 8 good and valid reasons for a class action against Comcast.

The problem is for some reason people are afraid of forming a class action against this company...

We pay our comcast bill online usually within 7 to 10 days of the due date. When we go online to pay the bill we pay what it says is owed for that bills due date being that the next months bills due date is still 2-3 weeks away yet. How is it possible to be 2 months behind if you pay your bill every month?

wirelessbound

Comcast is the BAIT and SWITCH masters. They love quoting you a price and then not giving it to you.

EVERYTIME in the three years I had them I would make changes on my account and they would promise me services or prices and never ever would I get the quoted price. I would have to fight for hours, weeks, months, with never a result till I report them to the BBB. Then a lady would call me saying we are so sorry let me fix that. They would fix it and give me a credit saying something lame like the rep forgot to check the boxes.

I am beginning to believe this is just common Comcast bait and switch. This is why Comcast makes so much money the bank on the fact that people will be *** and not check their bills.

They also have a monopoly(which is illegal) and you have to deal with them to get any sort of television unless you get a converter box that doesn't work or work well depending on where you live. I say we report them to the FCC or file a class action lawsuit for fraudulent business practices.

Next time something like this happens, ask to be transferred to their customer retention department and try complaining to them. I was able to get them to lower my monthly bill for a year. We'll see what happens after the year is up!

Grumpy Face

In fairness, I figured I'd update this.

I ultimately did get refunded for what they overcharged me. My $15.00 credit, that I was told would only be applied to future fixed costs, ended up being used when I underpaid my next bill by $15.00. That said, I should not have had to go through the hassle of getting them to live up to their original quote, especially since that quote was from their automated system and not a CSR.

While I'm not terribly impressed, and I do believe there's something shady with the whole scenario (ie. they profit from those people who won't bother to call customer service over $15), at least my total payments are now level with what I was originally quoted.

You might just want to keep calling, and calling, and calling if you have the time. Different phone reps will give different answers to the same question ! You might get one of them that will understand and give you the credit.

Now, just hope your service does not go out of order and you have to call Comcast for service, that is a whole other can of worms in itself !

Welcome to Comcast !