Coverage Area
Style and Design

Long post, bear with me.#comcastfail In February of 2016 I noticed some discrepancies in my Comcast bill.

It was significantly higher than it normally was, but I couldn't view and itemized bill anywhere. I called them multiple times to try to get a copy of my bill or some sort of explanation but hit multiple dead ends. Finally I learned that Comcast was not only double charging me for service, they were charging me for a cable box and HBO nonsense that I had never ordered, and had been for months. I repeatedly tried to explain this to a representative but to no avail.

I was also told that I had not made a payment in months and that my attempt to settle my bill was laughable. I recorded this call and contacted my bank, who had records of the bills I had paid on my debit card. On time. Every month.

The bank found Comcast to be wrong in charging me all of the extra money and credited over $400 to my account from previous payments that Comcast took and failed to post to my account. Finally fed up with the extra charges to my account and their miserable excuse for customer service, I cancelled my account in March of 2016 and requested a final itemized bill so I could formally dispute the charges. Instead of sending me a final bill, Comcast charged me more money and sent my account to two different collection agencies, Stellar Recovery and AFNI. It has sat on my credit report for almost a year and periodically I tried to get the issue resolved, which has always resulted in dead ends and derogatory remarks on the credit score that I am working so hard to raise.

In October of 2016 the FCC charged Comcast a fine of over 2 million dollars for charging customers for services and equipment that they did not order. I realized I was a victim of this method of “cramming,” unknowingly paying for two accounts at the same house for a few months and then continuing to be charged for equipment and services I did not order. When I tried to correct the situation, customer service agents told me that even though they were charged a fine for illegal charges I would still have to pay for the bill I was wrongfully sent. I decided to do some research to see what my rights were.

I sent letters via certified mail with return receipts to Transunion, Equifax, and Experian, as well as AFNI stating my case with copies of all the documentation I had showing that I was wrongfully charged. It was recommended that I contact AFNI to get the correct account information so I wouldn’t have to repeat this process due to error; my experience with them was even worse than the ones I had with Comcast! The agent I spoke with tried to talk over me, telling my story in their favor: “So, why would you pay for services you didn’t order?” She also spoke over me when I tried to explain that I attempted multiple times to rectify the situation with customer support but was left on hold and/or sent to a dead end. In the middle of trying to explain why I was wrongfully charged and my intent to dispute the collection, she mockingly asked me if I were reading my statement because I sounded too prepared.

I cut the conversation short to avoid any further insult and again requested an itemized bill of the charges that were in collections so I could properly dispute them. I received a letter from AFNI yesterday as well as a new copy of a Comcast bill. The bill’s amount has changed drastically. Instead of acknowledging my dispute of these charges for services I did not agree to, Comcast charged my account for “Xfinity Bundled Services,” the rental fee for a modem I returned over a year ago, as well as two reactivation fees and charges for TV and cable services.

An additional $77.93 was charged to my account, which is still in collections, without my permission and at an address that the company knows I no longer live at. If you have had a similar issue with this and somehow got it resolved, please let me know what you did. I’m in Michigan if that means anything. I’ve just filed a complaint with the FCC and don’t know where to go from here.

TL;DR: Comcast strikes again with illegal charges for services I didn’t order.A year later they reactivated my account at an old address without my permission because I threatened to dispute.

Reason of review: Fraud.

Had an Experience with Comcast?

Comments