Newark, New Jersey

Update by user Oct 23, 2011

Comcast\'s proxy statement, filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, put CEO Brian Roberts\' 2010 total compensation package at $31.10 million. Steve Burke, who became chief executive of Comcast-controlled media giant NBCUniversal in January, was awarded a compensation package in 2010 valued at $34.74 million.

Do you really think they care if we can\'t afford to pay for cable service or if we have constant issues with our service?

Original review posted by user Oct 22, 2011

I am like many others who complain about services and prices and get no satisfaction. I feel like screaming every time I get off the phone with this company. I tried to get a reduction of my bill, but the person on the other line said if I don't like it, I can always disconnect my services. If you think Comcast cares about your problems, keep on reading.

This past February, Comcast decided to change our local call center from a Customer Service call center to an outbound Collections center. All employees were laid off except for a couple of small departments. The employees were told if they wanted to keep working there, they would need to re-apply and IF they were rehired, they would receive a decrease in pay. 400 new employees were hired to replace those who were laid off. Why you ask? Because Comcast received a $2,500 tax break from the city for each new employee they hired! The local newspaper ran a story about Comcast hiring 400 new employees, but there was no mention about all the people who were laid off; many of which are still out of work.

Prior to the NBC Universal merger, employees were told that no jobs would be lost. Surprise! Shortly after that various call centers were closed and those jobs were outsourced; some to the Philippines and others to Convergys or similar companies. Comcast does not have to pay for benefits for outsourced jobs.

A few years ago FIOS applied to a local franchise which I live in, to provide service. All employees who lived in that city received an internal email requesting that they sign a letter drafted by Comcast which petitioned the city to not grant FIOS' request. They were also asked to attend city council meetings and ask council members to deny FIOS petition. As a result, Comcast is still the only cable provider in the area.

Every year during March Madness, The Consumerist has the "Worst Company In America" tournament. Of course Comcast is always nominated. Employees received an email stating "DO NOT vote for Comcast. When you cast your ballot, vote for the other company. Remember, you're voting for the "Worst Company in America." Feel free to vote from the office and at home on your personal computers and laptops. You can also vote via the web browser on your cell phones, iPads, tablets and other web-enabled wireless devices" Of course that didn't stop Comcast from winning the 2010 "Worst Company In American" title.

Comcast is anti-union. They have a long history of attempting to break employees' unions and firing labor organizers. Comcast has spent huge amounts of money to defeat the Employee Free Choice Act, which aims to strengthen workers' right to form unions. Pro-union employees have been illegally fired, harassed, wrongly disciplined, denied promotions and benefits. Comcast has also spread misinformation about CWA and the IBEW, and coerced and intimidated workers who showed any interest in becoming a union member. Comcast has been charged with hundreds of violations of federal labor law.

Comcast was accused of throttling P2P file sharing which they adamantly denied. They were later exposed for throttling customers who were using bandwidth for P2P file sharing. The FCC formally ruled Comcast's throttling was illegal and in violation of the network neutrality principles.

Comments

It's worse being an employee. At the Lynnwood, WA call center a fat sup named Kim Edwards sent an email requesting off the clock work. We are winning a class action lawsuit against them. Our lawyers are experienced and successful at winning this kind of case and we have the evidence.