Billerica, Massachusetts
3.1K views 83 comments

I've just spent over 2 hours on the phone with Comcast.I live in the Boston area and received a letter from Comcast that I would need to install the DTA to continue receiving cable channels on my TVs that weren't connected to a cable box.

And weren't they being nice? They were going to send me two free boxes to convert that awful analog signal. What they don't tell you is that you will lose any digital signal that you were receiving. I have a TV in my bedroom that used to receive all the local channels in HD digital form.

No longer. This DTA totally eliminates the digital signal. I was told that the solution for this was to lease one of their HD boxes. So now I was going to have pay an additional charge for something I had been receiving as part of my cable package.

Another Comcast rip-off. The person that I spoke with from Comcast told me that it wasn't Comcast's fault, it was the FCC that mandated it. I'm sure that if you go back and review the proceedings you won't find Comcast objecting as they looked at it as a way to force people to lease HD boxes to now charge an additional fee for something that I had been receiving as part of my cable package. They should have provided a box that would also pass local HD signals.

Shame on Comcast.And they wonder why they have such a low opinion rating.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE
Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / Not specified
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Comcast?

Submit review

Comments

deejay878
Palatka, Florida, United States #614468
They only tell you that they are giving you the 2 DTAs for free. In about 6 Months they will raise the prices on all service and start charging for the 2 "FREE" DTAs. Then they tell you that the government "Forced" them to change to digital. I too was receiving local channels in HD through the digital tuner on my TV. Everything worked just fine for $128 month. After the DTA, I was forced upgrade my service to HD, rent a HD DVR box since I could no longer get any HD on the TV and I could no longer use the DVR that I owned. Add in the extra DTA boxes that I needed and I then had the same service for $168 a month. December's bill comes with an insert informing us that the services are going up and we now have to pay $1.99 a month each for those 2 "FREE" DTAs. New Bill $176 s month. What a RIPOFF!!! They ought to be ashamed of themselves.
Olympia, Washington, United States #614178
All HDTV lost all HD channels after install Comcast DTA. The notification said I must order the Digital Terminal Adaptor; the shipping sheet said I received Digital to Analog Adaptor. I tried online chad, and called 2 times, spend over one hours try to ask if I need a different device for my HDTV to receive HD digital signals, finally I was told I need go to Comcast service center for some free AB device.
At the service center waited for nearly one hour, I was told I must pay $8 monthly fee for 3 TV with Digital Box, to continuous to use Comcast service. I ordered one. When I was ready to install, I noticed it needed a remote control which was not given to me. I read the instruction; it said a Coaxial Cable should be included, but missing, too.
It is really not worth the trouble for what I get. I will drop Comcast.
spl
Houston, Texas, United States #594963
I use these DTA boxes for my business and when I told them that they keep overheating and breaking down they told me that I should use less of it. And when I spoke to one of their account executives, Holly Klay that I want to cancel my service because its only been 30 days she said you have to pay for the whole term. What kind of service and people do Comcast have working for them. The DTAs suck just like their people. Comcast is becoming worse everyday, while everyone else is becoming better. I told my friends to switch and they couldn't be happier. If you are thinking about getting Comcast, I urge you to reconsider cause you will be screwed.
Glenn
The cable companies have systematically eliminated any advantage they had over satellite! So change!
Ang
I have had comcast for 27 years (aren't i ***) i have had to down grade because of this awful economy. I gave up my landline, took 2 dvr's back, bought my own modem and got, in addition to the 2 dta's that i had another dta. I called to have it activated and low and behold i get a real person, (still wondering how in the world that happened). He proceeds to tell me that i have a box that has not been activated and i tell him no i have only dta's. he tells me no i do, so before going off i searched the house and found a set top that would allow me to get on demand well when i hooked it up didn't work,called to ask about it and lady said "oh we can send you one out, no charge or i can go to store, (no store near me)3-5 days. well no box so i call to see why and a guy tells me no order for it and he will do that and there would be a 9.99 charge. i went off, told him to forget it.then i go get mail and there was a letter from comcast saying that they audited my bill and they had not been charging me for one or more of my dta's. ugghhhhh. so i get on website find where it says if they are changing to digital in your area you will get 3 dta's free of charge. So long story short when i changed my service to lower my bill they have found a way to rape me again. So now i will have to pay probably $16 which will end up being $26 after they add taxes and all that other *** so my $60 savings will only be $44 savings plus i spent $92 on a modem. I asked them how this is possible when... Show more
Jeff
I find this forum amusing.

DTA (though they called it digital transport adapter) is REALLY "digital to analog" converter. It converts digital signals to analog for your analog TVs that cannot receive digital signals.

If you have a digital TV, your TV is capable of receiving digital channels. If you got the "warning, get a DTA" message on a pre-existing channel, it means that comcast has transferred to digital cabling and "cancelled" those analog channels. It doesn't mean your digital TV is not receiving the digital signal from that channel. If the channel has a digital signal, it is likely shifted to another channel number. So rescan your TV.

Now if all your TV channels are gone, it means you had all analog channels before and cancelled. If you have a digital TV and you see "some" channels gone, its normal. If you have a digital TV and all your channels are gone, do not order a DTA... simply call and find out what is your cable package and what's up with Comcast's service to your house.

Finally, if you order a DTA for your digital channel, found out your HD channels are all gone, etc... simply DISCONNECT the DTA and reconnect your TV back to the outlet. You should have your previous channels back, all HD channels, etc... except for the analog signals that were removed.

People please.
Jeff
I find this forum amusing.

People please.
Can't they just provide a good
Same story. I had a bunch of high resolution digital signals. Then they shut off my TV service and replaced it with a message that I have to get a DTA. I got the DTA and now all I have is low resolution garbage. TV is worthless enough without it being low res.
wallace
3 TVs in house, 2 just a couple years old and one 1990. Old one just gets snow when I hook up dta. Using a different dta did not change snow. Putting newer TV on old tv's dta worked. So it appears to be the old TV. Is there anything I can do to make the dta work on the old TV?
Mike
I used to get many 1080i and 720p stations within my low end COMCAST TV package. Now that I had to install the DTA, all stations look like they are in 480p or worse (meaning analog quality). The on;ly solution is to upgrade to a much more expensive digital package. Also, I used to get many analog channels which were not available as digital channels. These are gone. Once again COMCAST has maintained its reputation, which is a few notches below that of used car salesman. The so-called "digital upgrade" is just another way to squeeze customers for more money. :cry