Annapolis, Maryland

I was REQUIRED to use Comcast when I moved to my apartment in December 2009 because the complex had a special deal with them. Not only did they overcharge me the first 3 times I called because they clearly did not understand what I was explaining about how I already pay my apartment complex for basic cable and just needed to add DVR, etc., there were continuous problems thereafter.

Over the course of the year, I called Comcast at least once every 3 months with problems with service problems and billing discrepencies; they also twice refused to let us pay for On Demand movies unless we upgraded to the next package (they wanted us to pay an extra $20/month to pay $5/movie...). One year later, my complex canceled their contract with Comcast and so we shopped around. Comcast SAID they would charge a certain amount (we were VERY clear in asking to total amount that would be on the bill each month), which ended up being the same or slightly cheaper than other companies, so when considering installation fees to switch we decided to stay with Comcast. The very first bill that came was TWICE was they said they would charge.

We called to fix this and they "apologized for the other agent giving incorrect information" but they could not honor the price previously mentioned. They gave a new, higher price, and we made sure that this was the total amount that would continue to appear on our bill each month. From then on it was the same pattern: the bill would raise once or twice every three months, we would call, the agent apologizes for the previous agent and cannot honor the price they gave us. After this happened the first 2-3 times we caught on that agents were giving us specials (without telling us that it was a special or the stipulations) and so in follow up calls we would make sure to ask if they were specials and the agents would assure us they were not, but nevertheless the price would raise.

Once, an agent did tell us about a special but said it was for an entire year and GUARANTEED that the certain amount would be the correct total on the bill through March 2012, yet 6 months later it went up -- I called and an agent said that we were still on the special, but that original price was for the "first tier" and now we're on the "second tier," which is apparently still a "discount/special" and less than the normal price, which will go up another $60 or so come March 2012. Comcast agents and supervisors also refused to put anything in writing for us to better understand our package and hold them accountable if their statements were inaccurate (short of recording our phone conversation, it would always be our word against theirs). Comcast also switched to Xfinity in the middle of our service with them, which jacked up our bill, and when we called they said it was "a new FREE service included for everyone now" -- if by free they mean they charge everyone more and you no longer have the option to NOT have Xfinity for the cheaper cost. The only reason we have not switched is because for the last year we have been on a month-to-month lease with our apartment and putting offers on homes.

We are definitely planning on using ANYONE but Comcast when we move out, but since every few weeks we put an offer on a house that would require us to move in 30 days, we thought bothering to compare providers again and set up/pay for a new installation would be inconvenient. At this point, if we find a company that would do free installation, we would switch immediately, even if we end up paying a little more, just to avoid the headache and clearly dishonest, uncaring agents at Comcast. I have worked in sales for many years and rarely come across such blatant false advertising, intentional omission of information, and inaccurate quotes.

As a side note, from working in sales I know that reviews tend to lend themselves to the extremes (people who rave about it and people who complain, but fewer people in the middle) and that many people who write reviews are often the problems of the experiences themselves because they don't understand, are too old/young to know the way things work, are uneducated, or just plain rude and like to complain about everything. I would like to negate that by saying I am 26, female, married with a dog but no kids yet, have a degree from one of the country's best private schools, and have a full-time job that pays well.

I have never once written a complaint online, but my experience with Comcast has been so time-consuming, frustrating, and insulting that a company that large still needs to take advantage of their customers to help their bottom line and bank on the majority of them not making a formal complaint or bothering to write on a public forum. I have spoken to all of my friends and family and posted on social media my experience and have had many people say they had similar bad experiences with Comcast and literally NOT ONE PERSON who could say they didn't have any complaints with their Comcast service.

It seems that an overwhelming majority have a negative opinion of this company but are too busy or apathetic about writing about it, which I have also been until this point. AVOID Comcast at ALL costs, even if that "cost" appears cheaper.

Comments

FTC hits Comcast CEO Brian Roberts with $500,000 fine

FTC hits Comcast CEO Brian Roberts with $500,000 fine. So what he makes over 30 million per year. Brian needs to reread the Comcast code of conduct where he tells employees he will not tolerate dishonesty from us. Why is he on Obama's jobs council? He should be fired. Do as I say, not as I do. Obama's slogan about "change you can believe in" should really be "the more things change the more they stay the same".

FTC hits Comcast CEO Brian Roberts with $500,000 fine

FTC hits Comcast CEO Brian Roberts with $500,000 fine. So what he makes over 30 million per year. Brian needs to reread the Comcast code of conduct where he tells employees he will not tolerate dishonesty from us. Why is he on Obama's jobs council? He should be fired. Do as I say, not as I do. Your slogan about "change you can believe in" should really be "the more things change the more they stay the same".

Plain and simple, Customers need to form a class action against Comcast(now Xfinity)for,

A- Price gouging.

B- Unfair business practices.

C- Lying to customers (Bait & Switch tactics).

D- Fraudulent Billing Practices.

E- Changing customers packages and rates without notifying customers in advance.

*** Forcing customers to rent equipment that they don't really need or want just to raise the customers monthly bill for service.

G- Forcing customers to upgrade to a higher prices service and threatening to cut service or take away features if they refuse to upgrade.

H- False advertising.

There you have it folks, 8 good and valid reasons for a class action against Comcast.

The problem is for some reason people are afraid of forming a class action against this company...

It's worse being an employee. At the Lynnwood, WA call center a fat sup named Kim Edwards sent an email requesting off the clock work.

We are winning a class action lawsuit against them. Our lawyers are experienced and successful at winning this kind of case and we have the evidence.