What really goes on in a Comcast call center

1419 of 1804 Comcast Reviews
Issue not resolved

As a very recent former employee who left voluntarily after 7 years of witnessing underhanded and deceptive practices to not only customers but employees as well, I decided I would rather be unemployed than continue working for Comcast. The constant daily verbal abuse from customers that I had to put with was also a contributing factor. I am now a regular paying customer and I hate having to deal with them because unlike most customers, I know what really goes on there.

In the past year they closed multiple call centers with the reason that they were small, inefficient and non productive, which resulted in the unemployment of thousands of employees. The calls that used to be handled by those call centers have been routed to other areas, but Comcast did not hire additional people to handle the increased call volume. I heard a manager tell some employees to increase their productivity or they could lose their jobs to an outsourced company. Comcast outsourced all incoming Spanish calls to Mexico and the calls for internet and telephone support for field technicians (as well as many of the customer calls) has been contracted to an outside company in the Philippines. Comcast does not have to pay for employee benefits for ""˜outsourced" jobs. The employee cost for medical and dental coverage increased and the 401k company match decreased. Shortly after all of this occurred, the media broke the news that Comcast was planning to merge with NBC Universal.

Want to know why customer service is so horrible? For one thing, many - but not all - reps are so burned out from taking verbal abuse (i.e. screaming, vulgarity, name calling etc.)& complaints from customers for 8 hours a day that they cease to care about taking care of the customers' issue and second, many employees don't last more than a year so chances are you are talking to someone who doesn't know what they are talking about. Management places the emphasis on productivity & sales rather than customer service. I was told by several different managers that the company would rather make the customer schedule an appointment for a service call, take time off from work and spend time at home waiting for hours for a tech to show up instead of allowing a rep to spend extra time on the phone to try & get their issue resolved. This causes a backlog on service appointments & results in making customers wait longer than 3-4 days for a technician. There are many issues which do require a technician to fix the problem, but there are also many service calls that could & should have been resolved over the phone. Ever feel like the person you are talking to doesn't care about your problem or is trying to get you off the phone as quickly as possible? Phone reps are allowed to spend an average time of 5-7 minutes per call depending on which department they are in. If the call lasts longer than 10 minutes, they receive a message every minute reminding them that they are over their 5 minutes, so reps will say anything they think will get the customer off the phone. Sometimes a supervisor will stand at an employees' desk if they have been on a call for longer than 10 minutes and demand an explanation as to why they spent so much time with the customer. On one particular occasion I spent over 30 minutes on one call, but I was able to resolve the problem to the satisfaction of the customer. After the call, I was confronted by my supervisor who actually told me it was more important to stay within the 5 minute timeframe rather than go over the 5 minutes and resolve the issue. I was also told to not let it happen again or I could be "written up". After a certain amount of time, if the reps' average time spent with each customer goes over 5 minutes, they receive a warning. If they do not make the daily sales goal, they receive a warning, so reps will tell the customer anything in order to get "a sale". After a specific amount of time if reps still have not meet their goals, they get fired. In the sales department I saw a sign posted stating one of their daily goals is "customer mind control" (this is no joke)! If a local market is not meeting corporate sales goals, managers will walk up and down aisles to find out who is not meeting their sales quota for the day. The company's goal is to sign up every customer in a Triple Play digital bundle. During new hire training, two entire days is devoted just on overcoming objections from customers who don't want additional services or higher priced packages. There is very limited incentive to provide good customer service, however there are plenty of incentives to sell services (such as not losing their job). Policies, procedures, billing changes & prices can change daily and reps are informed (if at all) of those changes via email or in their team meeting, so if they don't bother to read their email or they don't attend a team meeting, they give customers the wrong information. (Ever wonder why every time you call you get a different answer or you feel like the rep doesn't know what they are talking about?) A standard joke amongst the employees is that for a communication company, Comcast sucks at communicating information within their own organization. Ongoing training for new products, services and billing is not held in training rooms, but on the employees' computer. Each course lasts an average of 5-20 min and is in the form of a PowerPoint presentation. (And customers question why employee's knowledge about their own products is so poor)

Have you ever asked for a supervisor and felt like you got the run around? That's because supervisors are hardly ever at their desks, they are busy writing up employees or trying to resolve the dozens of escalated customer complaints. Supervisors HATE taking calls from customers. Phone reps are told to avoid transferring customers to supervisors. If the customer insists on speaking to a supervisor the reps are told to advise customers of a 24-48 hour call back time frame and there is no guarantee there will be a callback. Many times when customers think they are talking to a supervisor, they are actually talking to "floor support" (level below supervisor). The stress the company puts on each employee is unbelievable. Not only do the employees have to deal with the pressure of talking customers into adding services they don't want, as well as the constant fear of being fired for not meeting their insane metrics, but also deal with disgruntled, angry and screaming customers throughout the day. The morale is extremely low and many employees stay with the company simply because there are not a lot of available jobs and they have families to support.

As far as installation and service appointments go, in my local market jobs are not pre-routed, so technicians usually have no idea what type of work they will be doing ahead of time. Because the phone reps can spend a limited amount of time on each call, they cut corners on setting up work orders, such as not listing what equipment or services the technician needs to install, leaving off discount codes, not scheduling an appointment with a valid date and/or time and on service orders many of them are setup incorrectly or don't even state what technical problem the customer is having. The technician may have no idea what the customer is expecting until they walk in the door. The work order may show he is installing one line of service or one cable box, but the customer is expecting something else, and that can make the technician run late to the rest of his jobs. Many of the installations and upgrades are done by contracted technicians. Do not assume that by requesting an "in house" technician that you will get one even if the phone rep promised one would come to your home. The people who route the jobs usually do not read any of the job comments. The reps are required to-but in many cases do not- advise customers that A) The technician can show up anytime during the scheduled timeframe or what the appt. is scheduled for B) Someone 18 or older must be home and C) That there will be a pre-call before the technician arrives (in my market the majority of pre-calls are made by dispatch, not the technician). On service calls for technical problems if the customer does not answer the phone after two attempts are made, the job gets cancelled. This policy was put into place because of the large number of times technicians would drive to a customer's home and no one would be there. A very common problem is that when phone rep sets up appointments, they don't always verify with the customer what telephone number the customer can be reached at, so when the pre-call is made, the correct telephone number is not called. Customers should not assume the correct contact information is listed on their account. Each market may have different policies for installation and service appointments.

If you think it sucks being a Comcast customer, it is 100 times worse being a Comcast employee.

d6ac19d review #188374
95 Helpful? 120
Had the same issue13 Comments60 Report
1419 of 1804 Comcast Reviews
Had an experience with Comcast?  Submit review about this company

Sep 18

i am an employee of a outsourced company that works for comcast, and i have worked also with many other companies as sprint and santander...but actually all the companies are the same they didn't care about the customer they care about the money that is normal in all the companies i have worked is the same...but well as a customer my only point of view is that if you dont like the service well leave it, as an employee im happy with my job...if i was customer not so much but i think that are we who created those monster companies when we stayed with them

anonymous

Jul 19

I'm a current (soon to be former employee) and this article Is true- except now its even worse with Comcast offering home security. Let's see what I do in a typical day shall we?
I work in our inbound sales call center.
I arrive at my desk when I am supposed to and start up my computer.
Once all my software is up and running I make sure and check my email to see if any last minute promotions have changed.
I should mention that in my department 80% of the calls we get have absolutely nothing to do with sales. And the automated system usually routes you through sales even if you asked to go to billing.
Call One- someone complaining about something. I used to work in billing and I have a good idea how to fix the situation, but every time I try to do that my supervisor says its not getting Me a sale so go on to the next call. My stats are dinged every single time I get a call I cannot sell on. By "dinged" I mean my paycheck gets deducted. Call 2- someone wanting to sign up for online exclusive internet only offer. I tell the customer if they want that deal they have to sign up online. My stats have been dinged again due to this call. I take several more "change of service" calls (non sales calls that Comcast floods us with because they don't know what to do with them) and my stats continue to get dinged I get a sales call. Like an *** I'm required to repeat the issue the customer is calling about. "So you want to set up a new account? Great I'd be happy to help.
... Show more

Spring SUCKS

Aug 13 Fort Worth, Texas

Are you sure you do not work for Sprint, because it sounds SO MUCH like my former employer. You know, the one that just laid many of us off and are hiring others to do the exact same job for about 30% less salary than the people they laid off.

Nov 12, 2013

Comcast is the government. They have so much money and lobbying power that anything they want to do, they can. You can't win. Power and greed got to their heads, and all the managers are drinking that kool aid way too much. They have their heads up their *** so far that they forgot about the little guy. The government is in bed with Comcast and they write the rules, so does Time Warner and COX and every other snake oil company out there. Billions and billions of dollars they make. Sometimes customers pay upwards of 300 or more per month on their bill, that is a mother effing car payment folks! Cut the cable, live life free of the brainwash that they sell to you every day.

agent J.D

Sep 10, 2013 Aguascalientes, Aguascalientes

i would like to say that as a comcast call center agent in mexico, comocast doesn't really hadle us directly. i am working for a company that is named teleperformance and they do a very good job training us and try to teach us on how to handle with customers of all kinds ( kind ones, mean ones, dum ones, even with those custs that tink that they know it all) they actualy make us give a good customer service to our customers but sometimes or systems are a bit slow and some times we are not able or alowed to do surtain things. Now that im working for this company that works for comcast , and not only comcast but for others to but im in the comcast part. and many people tink it is easy being a cs agent but it is not, after a while you get frustrated with so much customer. but the good thing about TELEPERFORMANCE is that after 3 months of taking calls you can aply to be a supervisor but you must have a good quality call job.

so next time you call a comcast center in mexico dont get frustrated or mad beacouse we cant get you a sooner technitian visit. THAT IS NOT OUR FAULT that is comcast fault for not hireing more technitians.

in that part i do understand customers really , but unfourtunatly we cannot change that

thank you if you read all the way trough.

Comcast Memories

Jul 10, 2013

Having been a supervisor at Comcast, I can agree with just about everything that's in the main post, however I spoke to my customers as much as possible. The thing is if your desk phone is treated like a toll-free number for the pissed off then you couldn't possibly get any work done. In addition to responding to customers in a timely manner (which sounds GREAT on paper), we had to spend an inordinate amount of time coaching CAE's about the finer points of customer service, an even more inordinate amount of time attending pointless meetings about how to fix problems well beyond local supervisor control, coaching CAE's out the door, interviewing and payroll.

One could hardly blame the CAE's because they are the front line and while it was tough, I have to thank them for hanging in there as long as they did. For the most part, they would bend over backwards to do their best to resolve customer complaints but they were hampered by Comcast's inability to fix major service issues while making money hand over fist (COMCAST Universal- the new NBC anyone?). It wasn't until a few years ago when Comcast made email and internet available to everyone and even then, it was extremely limited. Before it was available, paper memos were passed around the call centers all day long. Supervisors on 3 hour lunches? Yes, very very true. I didn't work in Ann Arbor but it's nice to know these problems were all over and not limited to just my call center. It was usually the fattest of
... Show more

jello.beyonce

Apr 10, 2013 Denver, Colorado

I recently interviewed with a Manager, a Supervisor, and a call center Rep for a job with Comcast. I left that interview thinking "What a bunch of dumba**es".

As posted earlier, "Those with ethics or a committment (sic) to quality will not last at Comcast".

I have been involved in successful multimillion dollar sales for over 10 years, and have always taken pride in my service to my clients, my relationship building with those clients, and in my ethical behavior. I believe clients appreciate honesty and integrity. I found none of those qualities in the Comcast dolts I interviewed with.

The negative comments written here about limits on call times, poor service, billing "errors", inadequate resolution to most billing and collections matters, the lack of support given by the "supervisors", and all the other negatives seem absolutely true after meeting these three Comcast stooges during my interview. I wouldn't work for these i.d.i.o.t.s. to save my life.

Advice: Steer clear from Comcast.

Medlands

Mar 02, 2013 Fort Myers, Florida

I'm a retired CEO of an Insurance Company that, inter alia, employed a team of lawyers operating a legal consumer help line. I can honestly say that I have never experience a major company that provides such a poor service as Comcast indeed, in my opinion, they are exploiting consumers and I am more than suprised that the FCC has not intervened.
I would be pleased if the author of this article, or any other ex-employee, would contaact me as I wish to establish certain inside information

J Loo

Dec 23, 2012

I just googled comcast complaint center and saw this link. A few days before Christmas, I'm about to do some Christmas shopping when I check my account, to see that comcast not only double charged my payment (without my permission!!!) but they did it two seperate times this last week. It's sunday so I couldnt get through to the call center, but did online chat. The person who helped me acknowledged the mistakes but said that the check would be sent in 3 WEEKS! I now not only have no money for presents, but for groceries or other bills as well!! I don't know if I have ever been so upset, and feel helpless as there is not much I can do

Sally Going

Nov 22, 2012

Thank you so much for this open review of being a Comcast "slave"! As a customer researching other ways of getting my tv/Internet so I can tell the illegal/unethical Comcast execs to *** themselves, I have tried to remain calm with the reps doing their best. Unfortunately, if u don't own your own business we are at the mercy of these money hungry guys. Anybody happy switching to Direct TV or Dish? Lets have a day we switch out of Comcast or a month like jan 2013 and watch them go under. Mass numbers always have held the power. I am a well educated, well read older woman who is just fed up with this unethical greedy control over us. Thanks again for your story. :p

2 0 Reply
H4zz4rduz

Nov 21, 2012

Further, if you are calling Collections, they will lie to you to get the full "Current Balance" due. It's called a "Save" and is a way for them to make higher stats and more commissions-- yes, collections reps make money when you pay, so the less scrupulous ones will lie out their @$$ to get you to pay. To avoid disconnection, ask for the "Delinquent Balance"-- tell them to read it off their screen. Tell them you want BOTH amounts, and never have an agent process the payment. Many will not tell you that you'll be charged an extra $5.99 on your next bill. It's called a "Secured Payment" if they process it and helps their stats and commissions. You will avoid fees by keeping your account current, it is true, but COMMIT TO NOTHING when you speak to them so they don't get credit for it. If they can get you to verbally say that you're making the payment within seven days, they get credit for your payment. Also, if you ask for a supervisor, you'll often hear one is not available. This is either because they do have so few available that no one can assist you, they are playing Wii on the 2nd floor of the call center in a back conference room, they are gathered at other supervisors' desks chit-chatting, OR they are all downstairs smoking and having fun. THIS happened to me when I needed help, was being cursed left and right by a customer demanding a supervisor, and the customer held my line for over 30 minutes. After over a year, I had a nervous breakdown and had to quit.... Show more

Lucy

Jun 19, 2013 Albuquerque, New Mexico

Your situation reminds me so much of my own experience. Comcast rep called demanding I pay $205 immediately, even though the delinquent balance on my account was only $36.00. Argued that the current balance wasn't due for another 15 days, and was told that I had no choice but to pay the full amount due ($205) or face disconnection of my services. Ironically, the $36 past due balance I owe was due to Comcast billing me for a self install kit that I was NOT supposed to be charged for (which ended up being the wrong kit and had to be sent back). Anyway, no supervisor was available as they all had strep throat, amazingly enough... I was also told that I did not need to discuss the matter with my husband. No kidding. What crappy customer service. Unbelievable.

H4zz4rduz

Nov 21, 2012

Actually, it IS that bad. To maintain current stats, your calls may be no longer than approximately 4:36, and if the average extends beyond that, you will go through a series of warnings leading to termination. An employee cannot adequately resolve most billing and collections matters during that time frame, and if one attempts to explain the situation to the customer so he or she understands, it costs us stats and time which could endanger our time. Further, Comcast employees are not permitted to hang up on verbally abusive callers. This is an FCC violation. Management cares about numbers and dollars, not about customers. It's sad but true. Those with ethics or a committment to quality will not last at Comcast. After a year and a half, I simply could not take it anymore and quit.

stillwrkg@comcast

Sep 11, 2012

You can say what you want. What is written here is pretty much 100% correct.

Only thing I would change is this: I've been with Comcast for over 5 years now. Things changed when Comcast took over NBC/Universal. THAT is when the Customer no longer mattered. To me, my customers have ALWAYS mattered! I've never gotten along with our "stats". I don't see myself going along too much longer with The Big 'C'.... And I don't mean the 'show' or 'cancer'. If you know what I mean...

Malcolm Tent

Apr 10, 2013 Denver, Colorado

"What is written is STILL correct! In the last 30 days I've known at LEAST 15 people from my COLORADO call center that have been let go for STATS. That is call STATS. Not taking enough calls per hour, not making enough sales per call. Be it Triple plays, CDV (phone), HSI (internet), Video."

I wondered why the Colorado call center was constantly hiring reps. After interviewing with three employees at the Colorado call center I now understand. Managers are too busy monitoring call length, triple play sales, and stats rather than concerning themselves with customer satisfaction. Comcast should be hiring trained monkeys for their call centers.....but then trained monkeys would still be smarter than their supervisors & managers.

Pittsburgh worker

Apr 23, 2013 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

You're right on. This went south quickly after the NBC/Universal deal. Both customers and employees are treated as a necessary evil. A lot of us are not volunteering this weekend to make the company look better. Also, a lot of us are NOT going to take the Credo survey this month, as it never makes a difference.

kenneth

Aug 20, 2012

I am a comcast activations department... so far i had encountered calls like the customers who purchased a cable box from the local office... usually thos boxes don't work... & most of the customers say that they had been given a refurbished box.... (which i think it is) wahahaha and one timeI had a call that the box didn't work and i had to schedule a tech the customer suddenly said "*** NOW I KNOW WHY PEOPLE SIGN UP TO DISH NETWORK!" WAHAHAHAHA it's funny though... oh well as long s i am doing my best and getting paid right I will have no problem... not unless comcast get bankrupt! nyahahahahhahahaha :grin :grin

Comcast Losers

May 27, 2012

I used to be a CAE at Lynnwood,WA Tech Repair call center. Comcast Cares Day is a joke. You had to use a vacation day to participate in the HARD PHYSICAL LABOR VOLUNTEER SERVICE DAY.

Comcast Cares...but not much. Comcast Cares...about $$$. If you want discounts call the 800 phone number and ask for the retention department.

1-20 of 60 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Comcast.
Filing a new complaint about
×