Comcast - Comcast DTA boxes

1347 of 1631 Comcast Reviews
Feb 10, 2010
review #170848

I've just spent over 2 hours on the phone with Comcast.I live in the Boston area and received a letter from Comcast that I would need to install the DTA to continue receiving cable channels on my TVs that weren't connected to a cable box.

And weren't they being nice? They were going to send me two free boxes to convert that awful analog signal. What they don't tell you is that you will lose any digital signal that you were receiving. I have a TV in my bedroom that used to receive all the local channels in HD digital form.

No longer. This DTA totally eliminates the digital signal. I was told that the solution for this was to lease one of their HD boxes. So now I was going to have pay an additional charge for something I had been receiving as part of my cable package.

Another Comcast rip-off. The person that I spoke with from Comcast told me that it wasn't Comcast's fault, it was the FCC that mandated it. I'm sure that if you go back and review the proceedings you won't find Comcast objecting as they looked at it as a way to force people to lease HD boxes to now charge an additional fee for something that I had been receiving as part of my cable package. They should have provided a box that would also pass local HD signals.

Shame on Comcast.And they wonder why they have such a low opinion rating.

8adcb4f
2.1
Had an experience with Comcast?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
1347 of 1631 Comcast Reviews
deejay878

Feb 25, 2013 Palatka, Florida

They only tell you that they are giving you the 2 DTAs for free. In about 6 Months they will raise the prices on all service and start charging for the 2 "FREE" DTAs. Then they tell you that the government "Forced" them to change to digital. I too was receiving local channels in HD through the digital tuner on my TV. Everything worked just fine for $128 month. After the DTA, I was forced upgrade my service to HD, rent a HD DVR box since I could no longer get any HD on the TV and I could no longer use the DVR that I owned. Add in the extra DTA boxes that I needed and I then had the same service for $168 a month. December's bill comes with an insert informing us that the services are going up and we now have to pay $1.99 a month each for those 2 "FREE" DTAs. New Bill $176 s month. What a RIPOFF!!! They ought to be ashamed of themselves.

Feb 25, 2013 Olympia, Washington

All HDTV lost all HD channels after install Comcast DTA. The notification said I must order the Digital Terminal Adaptor; the shipping sheet said I received Digital to Analog Adaptor. I tried online chad, and called 2 times, spend over one hours try to ask if I need a different device for my HDTV to receive HD digital signals, finally I was told I need go to Comcast service center for some free AB device.
At the service center waited for nearly one hour, I was told I must pay $8 monthly fee for 3 TV with Digital Box, to continuous to use Comcast service. I ordered one. When I was ready to install, I noticed it needed a remote control which was not given to me. I read the instruction; it said a Coaxial Cable should be included, but missing, too.
It is really not worth the trouble for what I get. I will drop Comcast.

spl

Jan 17, 2013 Houston, Texas

I use these DTA boxes for my business and when I told them that they keep overheating and breaking down they told me that I should use less of it. And when I spoke to one of their account executives, Holly Klay that I want to cancel my service because its only been 30 days she said you have to pay for the whole term. What kind of service and people do Comcast have working for them. The DTAs suck just like their people. Comcast is becoming worse everyday, while everyone else is becoming better. I told my friends to switch and they couldn't be happier. If you are thinking about getting Comcast, I urge you to reconsider cause you will be screwed.

Glenn

Nov 26, 2012

The cable companies have systematically eliminated any advantage they had over satellite! So change!

Ang

Oct 22, 2012

I have had comcast for 27 years (aren't i ***) i have had to down grade because of this awful economy. I gave up my landline, took 2 dvr's back, bought my own modem and got, in addition to the 2 dta's that i had another dta. I called to have it activated and low and behold i get a real person, (still wondering how in the world that happened). He proceeds to tell me that i have a box that has not been activated and i tell him no i have only dta's. he tells me no i do, so before going off i searched the house and found a set top that would allow me to get on demand well when i hooked it up didn't work,called to ask about it and lady said "oh we can send you one out, no charge or i can go to store, (no store near me)3-5 days. well no box so i call to see why and a guy tells me no order for it and he will do that and there would be a 9.99 charge. i went off, told him to forget it.then i go get mail and there was a letter from comcast saying that they audited my bill and they had not been charging me for one or more of my dta's. ugghhhhh. so i get on website find where it says if they are changing to digital in your area you will get 3 dta's free of charge. So long story short when i changed my service to lower my bill they have found a way to rape me again. So now i will have to pay probably $16 which will end up being $26 after they add taxes and all that other *** so my $60 savings will only be $44 savings plus i spent $92 on a modem. I asked them how this is possible when... Show more

Jeff

Oct 19, 2012

I find this forum amusing.

DTA (though they called it digital transport adapter) is REALLY "digital to analog" converter. It converts digital signals to analog for your analog TVs that cannot receive digital signals.

If you have a digital TV, your TV is capable of receiving digital channels. If you got the "warning, get a DTA" message on a pre-existing channel, it means that comcast has transferred to digital cabling and "cancelled" those analog channels. It doesn't mean your digital TV is not receiving the digital signal from that channel. If the channel has a digital signal, it is likely shifted to another channel number. So rescan your TV.

Now if all your TV channels are gone, it means you had all analog channels before and cancelled. If you have a digital TV and you see "some" channels gone, its normal. If you have a digital TV and all your channels are gone, do not order a DTA... simply call and find out what is your cable package and what's up with Comcast's service to your house.

Finally, if you order a DTA for your digital channel, found out your HD channels are all gone, etc... simply DISCONNECT the DTA and reconnect your TV back to the outlet. You should have your previous channels back, all HD channels, etc... except for the analog signals that were removed.

People please.

Jeff

Oct 19, 2012

I find this forum amusing.

People please.

0 0 Reply
Can't they just provide a good

Oct 16, 2012

Same story. I had a bunch of high resolution digital signals. Then they shut off my TV service and replaced it with a message that I have to get a DTA. I got the DTA and now all I have is low resolution garbage. TV is worthless enough without it being low res.

wallace

Sep 05, 2012

3 TVs in house, 2 just a couple years old and one 1990. Old one just gets snow when I hook up dta. Using a different dta did not change snow. Putting newer TV on old tv's dta worked. So it appears to be the old TV. Is there anything I can do to make the dta work on the old TV?

Mike

Aug 31, 2012

I used to get many 1080i and 720p stations within my low end COMCAST TV package. Now that I had to install the DTA, all stations look like they are in 480p or worse (meaning analog quality). The on;ly solution is to upgrade to a much more expensive digital package. Also, I used to get many analog channels which were not available as digital channels. These are gone. Once again COMCAST has maintained its reputation, which is a few notches below that of used car salesman. The so-called "digital upgrade" is just another way to squeeze customers for more money. :cry

comcast customer boston

Aug 30, 2012

We are getting the DTA requirement, masked by govt, mandate from Comcast. Govt. Did not required. DTA just digital signal which is a more efficient use of cable medium. Comcast believes that they can waste electricity via DTA plug in boxes, lie to customers, force HD sales to people who didn't need a DTA, home TVs for most of us have HD digital tuners Comcast is a modern mafia and I will not pay for this extortion, I'm going to start pushing for 40 neighbors to pre-sign up w google broadband/TV. They will bury Comcast w a reasonable TV charge under internet connection subscription. This comcast is a greedy business company they don't respect or honor their customer, just BS them and extort highest amt. Possible for poor service.

Comcast CEO email address

Jun 11, 2012

brian_roberts@comcast.com is email address of CEO of Comcast

sunnyfl

Jun 07, 2012

Holy *** -- picked up dta which will not, does not fit my existing cable at wall; also told my problem. 3 calls to comcast in which they hung up on me 2X; 2 office visits for equipment that does not work with their existing equipment. Comcast is like an abusive spouse -- they do the bad deed then say it is your fault. HATE (strong word appropriate) Comcast. My HD Sony was getting all HD channels fine before the DTA box. Now I cannot access anything.

Comcast Losers

May 27, 2012

I used to be a CAE at Lynnwood,WA Tech Repair call center. Comcast Cares Day is a joke. You had to use a vacation day to participate in the HARD PHYSICAL LABOR VOLUNTEER SERVICE DAY.

Comcast Cares...but not much. Comcast Cares...about $$$. If you want discounts call the 800 phone number and ask for the retention department.

Terry

May 26, 2012

I was going to switch to comcast until I found out that I would need a set top box with every tv (4 of them)at a charge of 9.95 per after 1st, because DTA\'s only convert local network channels. I will stick with WOW thier DTA box converts all channels, not just local, to be recieved on my other TV\'s.

Terry

May 26, 2012

The fact that thier DTA's will only convert local channels is of thier choice. They set up the encryption that way so they can charge you more money for a set top box. They could easily convert all digital signals to be recieved on analog TV if they wanted.

Jim

Feb 15, 2012

I have had the same problem with DTA converter box having poor quality picture. Called Comcast and after complaining about picture quality for a long time and being put on hold three times while she talked to someone else they said they would send me an AB box so I could switch from direct wall connection for digital quality picture on A (local channels) to analog on B so I could watch ESPN etc going through the DTA converter. Don't know what to expect when they go all digital in March.

0 0 Reply
In with the old out with the n

Feb 05, 2012

I installed my DTA box to not lose the channels I'm paying for and now I do not have any HD quality channels. I'm considering following this logic by paying my Comcast bills in pennies via snail mail.

freeetob@aol.com

Jan 21, 2012

We have the DTA box but the cable Comcast furnished (screw on connector) that should connect our year old Sony DVD/VCR player to the TV will, in no way, fit the Sony which requires a plug in. Is this another Comcast conspiracy to make us rent a player? :?

New Uverse Customer

Jan 21, 2012

I have 4 state-of-the-art Digital HD Tv's with Comcast Extended Basic cable. For four years without need of any cable boxes, direct attach coax only, I've gotten all local broadcast stations in High Def. Now, with Comcast digital migration they provide encrypted digital signals only and you MUST have their basic box to de-encrypt them. And all they do is digital to analog conversion. So I get to watch their crystal clear digital signals in grainy analog display on my digital TVs. If I want my HI-Def stations back it will double my cable bill. Hello Uverse. Good by Comcast.

1-20 of 83 comments

×
You were reading a complaint about Comcast.
Filing a new complaint about
×